Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Shanks of Lamb in Red Wine

Ok, yesterday being National Braai day, and the "manne" got all the compliments for the fantastic spread that they put on for everyone, I decided that give credit where credit is due and make my famous Knuckles of Lamb in Red Wine sauce for supper tonight.

Now I know one thing, and that is cooking is not my favourite pastime... I see it more as a chore, but there are two dishes that I get rave reviews about (actually three, but technically the other one is a pudding) and my Lamb Knuckles is one.

So in all fairness of setting the record straight about who cooks and who braai's, I am going to share my recipe with you... but this is the ONLY recipe that I am going to share, because my family will not forgive me if I shared the other two...LOL


Prepartation time about 3 hours

6 Lamb knuckles or lamb shanks

Extra virgin olive oil
1 Large carrot, roughly sliced
1 Large onion, roughly sliced
6 Peppercorns
8 Cloves garlic, with skins (or 2 Tablespoons crushed garlic)
1 Sprig thyme
4 Bay leaves
2 Teaspoons honey
1/2 Bottle red wine (I use a local wine, or use your fav)
1 Sliced celery
3 Teaspoons molasses (or syrup)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 160c.
  2. Trim the knuckles/shanks, make them look neat exposing the bone.
  3. In a large frying pan heat the oil and fry the knuckles/shanks on all sides.
  4. Put into a large oven proof dish with a lid, big enough to hold all the knuckles/shanks and vegetables.
  5. Repeat cooking until all the knuckles/shanks are sealed and add all the sliced vegetables in dish with lamb.
  6. Add the peppercorns, garlic, bay leaf, salt, honey and wine to the lamb and put into a slow oven for 2 hours.
  7. The lamb should be coming away from the bone when it is ready.
  8. Remove and put on to a dish and cover with tin foil.
  9. Put the rest on top of the heat and add the molasses sugar/syrup and soy and reduce to a third until it becomes syrupy and able to coat the lamb knuckles/shanks.
  10. Strain through a fine sieve into a smaller saucepan.
  11. Put the knuckles/shanks back into the oven proof dish, coat with sauce and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
  12. Baste the knuckles/shanks in a couple of times while cooking.
Okay, ready to serve. I normally serve this with rice, steamed baby carrots and peas.


No comments: